The LISIS believes firmly in the importance of training through research. It acts as a host laboratory for two doctoral schools (Écoles Doctorales): ED OMI Paris-Est-Sup and ED ABIES-AgroParisTech. It currently hosts approximately twenty PhD students.
In addition to the possibilities offered by its Écoles Doctorales (ED), LISIS PhD students benefit from a variety of tools:
- monitoring primarily based on presenting PhD work before an ad hoc committee on an annual basis;
- a thesis committee composed of a thesis director and external members;
- a set of scientific facilitation initiatives steered by PhD and postdoctoral students, including reading workshops, PhD student days, a monthly seminar, and the “Les STS au quotidien” (“STS day-to-day”) seminar;
- the IFRIS École thématique (four days of summer school that bring together approximately thirty PhD students from different IFRIS laboratories, for: the presentation of research papers, reading workshops, and talks by guest speakers);
- funding for work abroad, either for participation in symposiums or long-term assignments (3 to 9 months).
The laboratory is also involved in directing the Master’s Degree in Data Science and Digital Society (Master Data Science et Société Numérique, D2SN) and Master’s Degree in Communication at the Université Gustave Eiffel, the Specialized Master’s Degree in Public Policy and Action for Sustainable Development (Mastère spécialisé Politiques et Actions Publiques pour le Développement Durable, MPAPDD) at the École des Ponts ParisTech, and the Master’s Degree in Agroecology, Knowledge, Territories and Society (Master Agroécologie, Connaissances, Territoires Et Société, ACTES) at AgroParisTech.