Douglas K. R. Robinson Since 2017 Douglas has been a senior researcher at the CNRS, France (Sections 53 and 37), and an honorary senior research associate at the Institute of Innovation for Public Purpose (IIPP) at University College London, UK. For three years (2020-2022) Douglas has served as lab deputy director (Directeur Adjoint)
Interdisciplinary by training and in practice, Douglas is an expert in studying emerging fields of science, technology and innovations and characterising their link with socio-economic change. Originally trained as a physicist and space scientist, Douglas has been both researcher and consultant focusing on the emergence of breakthrough technologies and their transformation into working technologies in society. A large part of his work is connecting academic research with real-world problems, through engagement exercises, operationalising responsible research and innovation (RRI), multi-stakeholder technology assessment and the development of policy relevant intelligence. As part of this activity, Douglas often combines research with tool development to improve reflexivity and better anticipate on the co-evolution of technology, innovation and society.
Recently, Douglas has been engaged in the ramifications of mission-oriented policies for the research and innovation system, and how missions can be implemented by both targeted policy, by researchers and through co-creation activities.
Alongside publishing scientific articles, Douglas also produces reports on emerging technologies and their ramifications for the economy and for society, recent reports for public agencies and international organisations include OECD, European Space Agency and NASA.
Full publication list can be found here.
- Robinson, D.K.R., Schoen, A., Laredo, P., Molas-Gallart, J., Warnke, P., Kuhlmann, S. and Ordóñez-Matamoros, G. (2021) Policy lensing of future-oriented strategic intelligence: An experiment connecting foresight with decision making contexts. Technological Forecasting and Social Change. Volume 169, August 2021, 120803. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2021.120803
- Robinson, D.K.R., Simone, A. and Mazzonetto, M. (2020) RRI Legacies: Co-creation for Responsible, Equitable and Fair Innovation in Horizon Europe. Journal of Responsible Innovation. https://doi.org/10.1080/23299460.2020.1842633
- Boon, W. P., Edler, J., & Robinson, D. K. R. (2020). Market formation in the context of transitions: A comment on the transitions agenda. Environmental Innovation and Societal Transitions. Volume 34, March 2020, Pages 346-347 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eist.2019.11.006
- Robinson, D. K. R., & Mazzucato, M. (2019). The evolution of mission-oriented policies: Exploring changing market creating policies in the US and European space sector. Research Policy, 48(4), 936-948. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2018.10.005
- Robinson, D. K. R., Lagnau, A., & Boon, W. P. (2019). Innovation pathways in additive manufacturing: Methods for tracing emerging and branching paths from rapid prototyping to alternative applications. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 146, 733-750. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2018.07.012
- Joly, P. B., Matt, M., & Robinson, D. K. R. (2019). Research Impact Assessment: from ex post to real-time assessment. fteval Journal for Research and Technology Policy Evaluation, 47, 35-40. http://doi.org/10.22163/fteval.2019.326
- Clare Shelley-Egan, D.M. Bowman and Douglas K. R. Robinson (2018). Mapping ‘devices of responsibility’ over a decade of responsible research and innovation initiatives for nanoscience and nanotechnology. Science and Engineering Ethics journal. December 2018, Volume 24, Issue 6, pp 1719–1746 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11948-017-9978-z