Douglas K. R. Robinson (PhD) is a researcher on the dynamics, management and policies of innovation, with a particular focus on emerging and potentially breakthrough technologies. In his current focus on innovation dynamics and policy, he weaves together four axes of research (1) the dynamics of technology emergence (particularly the collective dimension), (2) organisational and institutional aspects of transforming promising technologies into markets, (3) future-oriented analyses informed by dynamics of socio-technical change and (4) policy and strategic intelligence on research and innovation. Douglas has a PhD in Innovation Studies from the University of Twente (NL), a Masters in Space Studies (International Space University, France) and Masters of Physics and Space Technology (University of Leicester, UK) and has recently written reports for the OECD, NASA, the European Space Agency and the French Ministry of Research and Higher Education. He is also a reviewer of funding proposals for the Agence Nationale de la Recherche (ANR) in France, the European Commission H2020 programme and reviewer for peer-reviewed journals including Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Technology Analysis and Strategic Management, Research Policy and the Journal for Responsible Innovation.
Recent and upcoming invited talks
- Location: Ministère de l’éducation nationale, de l’enseignement supérieur et de la recherche, Paris, France. Date: 22nd May 2017 Detail: Presentation « Inscription territorial d’une infrastructure » by Douglas K. R. Robinson & Antoine Schoen. For a workshop organised by the Direction Générale de la Recherche et de l’Innovation.
- Location: INRA HQ, Paris, France. Date: 25th April 2017. Detail: Invited talk « Future-Oriented Impact Assessment » Douglas K. R. Robinson.
- Location: University Nova of Lisbon, Portugal. Date: 27th March 2017. Detail: Invited talk « Constructive Technology Assessment for managing the directions of development and impacts of breakthrough technologies » Douglas K. R. Robinson.
- Location: European Parliament, Brussels, Belgium. Date: 13th October 2016. Detail: Presentation « Assessing the territorial embedding of marine biotechnology public research organisations » Douglas. K. R. Robinson. Presented at the meeting: Marine Knowledge: Supporting Marine Research Knowledge Exchange for Blue Growth.
Recent and upcoming workshops and training
- Location: Station Biologique de Roscoff (CNRS/UPMC), Roscoff, France. Date: 3-5 May 2017 Detail: « Territorial Embedding and Impact Assessment Workshop » by Douglas K. R. Robinson, Pierre Colas and Antoine Schoen. Part of the H2020 Marine Biotechnology project EMBRIC : http://www.embric.eu/node/1351
- Location: UPMC Jussieu Campus, Paris, France. Date: 9th March 2017 Detail: Training Course « Visualising publication data using the CorText platform » by Douglas K. R. Robinson and Antoine Schoen. Part of the H2020 Marine Biotechnology project EMBRIC : http://www.embric.eu/node/1331
Selected articles and book chapters:
- Robinson, D. K. R., Antoine Schoen, Philippe Laredo, Jordi Molas Gallart, Philine Warnke, Stefan Kuhlmann, Gonzalo Ordonez Matamoros (Forthcoming) Policy lensing of futures intelligence. Accepted article for Technological Forecasting and Social Change to be published in 2017
- Huang, Y., Zhu, D., Qi, L., Porter, A.L., Robinson, D.K.R. and Wang, X. (2017) Early insights on the Emerging Sources Citation Index (ESCI): An Overlay Map-based Bibliometric Study. Scientometrics (2017). doi:10.1007/s11192-017-2349-3
- Mazzucato, M. and Robinson D. K. R. (2016) Directing vs. Facilitating the Economic Development of Low Earth Orbit. Chapter 5 in NASA book Besha P. and MacDonald, A. eds (2016) Economic Development of Low-Earth Orbit. NASA National Aeronautics and Space Administration Office of Communications, Washington, DC 20546
- Robinson, D. K., Rip, A., & Delemarle, A. (2016). Nanodistricts: Between Global Nanotechnology Promises and Local Cluster Dynamics. In The Local Configuration of New Research Fields (pp. 117-133). Springer International Publishing..
- Robinson, D. K. R. (2015). Distinguishing the umbrella promise of Converging Technology from the dynamics of Technology Convergence. In Wienroth, M. and Rodrigues, E. (eds.) Knowing New Biotechnologies: Social Aspects of Technological Convergence, 12. Routledge.
- Robinson, D. K. R., & Rip, A. (2013). Indications of Socio-Economic Impacts of Nanotechnologies: The Approach of Impact Pathways. In: K. Konrad & H. Van Lente & C. Coenen & A. Dijkstra & C. Milburn (Eds.), Shaping Emerging Technologies: Governance, Innovation, Discourse. IOS Press, pp153 – 166. ISBN 9781614993001.
- Robinson, D. K. (2009). Co-evolutionary scenarios: An application to prospecting futures of the responsible development of nanotechnology. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 76(9), 1222-1239.
- Robinson, D. K. R., and T. Propp (2008). Multi-path mapping for alignment strategies in emerging science and technologies. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 75(4): 517–538.
- Robinson, D. K., Rip, A., & Mangematin, V. (2007). Technological agglomeration and the emergence of clusters and networks in nanotechnology. Research policy, 36(6), 871-879.